Pencil skirts can be tricky to style. Add a blazer or cardigan, and you run the risk of looking like a corporate drone. Pair it with a feminine top or kitten heels and you could look over-the-top retro. Still, the curve-friendly style looks amazing when worn right, which is why we picked out a $108 black paneled number from BCBG, gave it to up-and-coming model and art-world star Coco Young, and handed over styling duties to the staff members of five of our favorite local boutiques: Pixie Market, Alter, Seven, Edith Machinist, and Patricia Field, who paired the staple item with everything from floaty blouses to Gaga-worthy bustiers (one guess which store was behind that decision). Click through the slideshow to see what each of our impromptu stylists came up with.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Negative Space: 11 White Dresses With Cutouts
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate