Pencil skirts can be tricky to style. Add a blazer or cardigan, and you run the risk of looking like a corporate drone. Pair it with a feminine top or kitten heels and you could look over-the-top retro. Still, the curve-friendly style looks amazing when worn right, which is why we picked out a $108 black paneled number from BCBG, gave it to up-and-coming model and art-world star Coco Young, and handed over styling duties to the staff members of five of our favorite local boutiques: Pixie Market, Alter, Seven, Edith Machinist, and Patricia Field, who paired the staple item with everything from floaty blouses to Gaga-worthy bustiers (one guess which store was behind that decision). Click through the slideshow to see what each of our impromptu stylists came up with.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Spring in Reverse: Backs Take Center Stage
Best Bet: Joe Fresh Pleated Tuxedo Shirt
Defense Bill Deal Delays Sexual Assault Vote
- Spring in Reverse: Backs Take Center Stage
- Amy Adams Covered Herself in Black Lace
- Harry Styles Takes Kendall Jenner to a Gay Bar
- Best Bet: Joe Fresh Pleated Tuxedo Shirt
- Defense Bill Deal Delays Sexual Assault Vote
- Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 16 Days to Go!
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Hairdo
- Why We Can't Let Men Off the Hook on Housework
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island
- Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle