There has been some debate, both in the Cut comments section and on other blogs (Style Defined NYC, we saw that), as to how we pick the street- and personal-style photos seen in our weekly Street Comber feature. Naturally, the answer is highly unscientific, totally subjective, and borderline cornball: We pick what moves us. That can translate in all kinds of ways: a shot selected because it's beautifully composed, or because its subject is wearing the type of outfit or hairstyle or smug grin that'd turn our heads on the sidewalk, or — most likely — some combination thereof. In other words, Street Comber is an homage to people who wear their looks with conviction, who think about what they're going to wear before they wear it or craft what they wear in such a way that it doesn't look like they thought about it at all, and whose looks tend to inspire and/or evoke some kind of deep-gut reaction — for better or for worse. It's also a celebration of the international roster of photographers who've made it their mission to document these inspiring dressers. So there you have it. Now on to the slideshow!
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve