Senator Kirsten Gillibrand looked striking last night in a Nanette Lepore LBD and heels, showing up at the Lepore store around nine p.m. for a tour. Gillibrand once told an aide, "There was a press conference on a windy day where I didn’t look my best, and that was the picture my opponents used in negative ads for two years.” So we asked her just how close fashion is to her heart. "It's an important industry for our city and our state," she said. "We want to enhance this industry. It generates ten billion dollars in salaries. It's a fundamentally New York industry! We have double the number of designers that Paris has." She continued: "We need to keep manufacturing in the city so new designers can come in and sell pieces to Barneys. Allowing young, cutting-edge newcomers to thrive in New York is great for the industry in the long-term." That sounded good to us, but we also wondered if she thought that by wearing high-fashion herself, she could help it thrive. "I do," she admitted. "It's a small way to support fantastic designers." Then she headed to Saks, where she cut loose on the dance floor.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve