Though it devoted more than eight pages to her in this week's issue, The New Yorker doesn't tell us much we don't already know about Tavi, the 14-year-old fashion blogger who has become an industry figure as adored as she is polarizing. Some facts you may not know about the wunderkind high-school freshman:
• She turned down requests to appear on Oprah and the Tonight Show. "The ‘Good Morning America’ audience — I guess that’s just not a crowd whose eyes I want on me," Tavi explains.
• She hired publicist Dana Meyerson, who is based in Chicago and also represents rappers Diplo and Rah Digga. The shoot Tavi styled for BlackBook came about after Meyerson pitched the magazine the idea.
• Meyerson is approaching Tavi's favorite labels, like Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs, Prada, Celine, and Chanel about advertising on Tavi's site. But don't expect banners at the top of the page: Meyerson is trying to get labels to work on videos with Tavi, along the lines of the video she did with Rodarte to promote their Target line, so they look like collaborations instead of straight advertising.
• She usually isn't paid for speaking appearances.
• Her mother is Norwegian, which explains the origin of her unique first name.
• Her room is just the "size of a van" with lime-green walls, a color picked out by her sister. Tavi hates the shade, so she tries to hide it by sticking pictures of people like Lauren Santo Domingo over it.
• She rides to the Salvation Army to shop in the "Gevinson family van, a 2007 Toyota with bits of trash on the floor."
• She drinks Nesquick.
• Some boys in her school pick on her. Lizzie Widdicombe writes:
In Tavi’s homeroom, the students had arranged themselves in gender-segregated clusters. When she walked in, a jocky boy in sweatpants announced the results of what had apparently been a discussion at his table: “Tavi, we decided you were the first one to listen to ‘Jesus, Etc.,’ by Wilco.” (Tavi is a friend of Spencer Tweedy, another fourteen-year-old blogger, whose father is Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy.) The comment wasn’t mean, exactly, but it singled her out. Instead of responding witheringly, Tavi put her head down.
But as far as addressing Tavi's longevity, and that segment of the industry which isn't really interested in the point of view of a 14-year-old and finds her front-row placement at shows befuddling, Widdicombe only touches on it. She mentions Anne Slowey of Elle's controversial and not-exactly-positive response to Tavi's review of the collections in Harper's Bazaar. Widdicombe also spoke to Elle creative director Joe Zee:
“Let’s say Tavi’s fourteen, versus someone like Cathy Horyn”—of the Times—“who’s done this for x amount of years and can say, ‘When I was at the Galliano show ten years ago, this is how it was.’ Tavi can’t say that, because she was four ten years ago.”
Widdicombe notes that the fickle fashion world might not be so interested in Tavi — who now at 14, the writer describes as "curvy" — as she enters adulthood. Tavi responds:
“I guess that’s sort of a worry of mine,” she said. “That I won’t be relevant anymore, and then I just won’t be able to do things like go to Fashion Week.” She went on, “If I lost all my readers tomorrow, I would still blog, just because it’s a place for me to get my thoughts down. As I get older, no one will be able to do the ‘Can you believe it? This kid’s thirteen!’ thing. That’s fine. I’d rather get attention for any credibility I have, and if I don’t get attention at all maybe that will tell me I never had any credibility. In which case I’ll just watch the live streams. The main thing is the clothes.”
Tavi Says [NYer, not online]
Most Viewed Stories
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
The Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
Amy Schumer Went All Out for the Kiss Cam at a Mets Game
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
The 6 Best Denim Shops on Etsy
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutAdele Could Not Care Less About the Brangelina Divorce
So please don’t pretend like she does.Los Angeles Police Confirm Active Criminal Investigation Against Derrick Rose
It’s separate from the civil suit, which will come to trial next week.Renowned Founder of Pussy Posse Goes to Washington
Leonardo DiCaprio met with President Barack Obama for another historic hotness summit.We’re Very Worried About Brangelina’s French Vineyard
We hope Château Miraval keeps making wine.Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
No time at all!The Couture Craftswoman Bringing Her Vision to the Street
Christelle Kocher splits her time between Chanel and her own couture-meets-streetwear line.What Fashion Anthropologists Think About the Relentless Cargo-Shorts Boom
There’s a lot going on in those pockets.Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of September 26
Mars enters Capricorn.Lupita Nyong’o Dropped a Rap Video to Celebrate Her 3 Million Instagram Followers
She debuted a short video on Instagram.Amy Schumer Went All Out for the Kiss Cam at a Mets Game
She had a kiss for her dad and her boyfriend.
This week’s sex diary.Marc Jacobs’s Dog Has His Own Coffee-Table Book
Neville Jacobs, Instagram celebrity.The Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Megan Mullally, and Sean Hayes want you to feel FOMO.Emma Watson Helped Make a Short Film to Inspire You, Ladies
Jump those hurdles. Swing from a chandelier.Get Gender-Free Fashion Delivered to Your Hotel Room
Best room service ever.Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis Are Having a Girl
It’s yet another reason to be #NeverTrump.The Newsroom Meets Mad Men in the First Trailer for Amazon’s Good Girls Revolt
Revolt away, girls.Arrest Made in Pippa Middleton iCloud Photo Hack
The hacker reportedly offered The Sun and The Daily Mail 3,000 pictures for a large sum of money.The National Nightmare Is Over: Kim Kardashian Will Vote for Hillary
She’s with her.Dolce & Gabbana Was an Italian Lovefest
The theme was Tropico Italiano.