Fashion people don't have enough places in which to isolate themselves from the Others, who don't care or know about the latest and greatest in Chanel fur boots and Hermès beach towels. What they really need, rather than private cars, parties, and planes, is their own private island, naturally, with a foreign name to make it sound even fancier, and a launch date sometime after the worst economic crash in decades has apparently begun to right itself. Well, friends, plebeians, loaded people: That time is approaching at last! Isla Moda, the man-made fashion-specific island community twenty kilometers off Dubai that Karl Lagerfeld is helping design, has been rendered. And it looks, predictably, like something out of Biodome meets Inception, which can only mean Karl has successfully infiltrated the dreams of his brethren and translated them architecturally to the three luxury hotels and 150 "lavish" residences that will comprise this elite sea-dwelling suburb. Also, it's a fantastic way for richies to cram more boats into their lives. And when you're wealthy, isn't that what matters? Check them out in the slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Cannes Day 9: Princess Charlene and Heidi Klum
- The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
- U.N. Pressures Prada to Stop Discrimination
- McCartney’s Asia Tour Culminates With Kate Moss
- Every Outfit Olivia Has Worn on Scandal Season 2
- When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
- Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Balenciaga’s New Bag: A Versatile Summer Option
- Issa’s Designer, Daniella Helayel, Quits Label
- Pussy Riot’s Maria Alyokhina Denied Parole
- GIF Lesson: How to Give Thin Hair Extra Volume
- The 45 Most Gorgeous, Famous Gems of All Time
- Barack Obama Prom Pictures
- Watch: Supercut of Pop Culture’s Best Promzillas
- Men No Longer Just Pieces of Meat