Fashion people don't have enough places in which to isolate themselves from the Others, who don't care or know about the latest and greatest in Chanel fur boots and Hermès beach towels. What they really need, rather than private cars, parties, and planes, is their own private island, naturally, with a foreign name to make it sound even fancier, and a launch date sometime after the worst economic crash in decades has apparently begun to right itself. Well, friends, plebeians, loaded people: That time is approaching at last! Isla Moda, the man-made fashion-specific island community twenty kilometers off Dubai that Karl Lagerfeld is helping design, has been rendered. And it looks, predictably, like something out of Biodome meets Inception, which can only mean Karl has successfully infiltrated the dreams of his brethren and translated them architecturally to the three luxury hotels and 150 "lavish" residences that will comprise this elite sea-dwelling suburb. Also, it's a fantastic way for richies to cram more boats into their lives. And when you're wealthy, isn't that what matters? Check them out in the slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 16 Days to Go!
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Hairdo
- Why We Can't Let Men Off the Hook on Housework
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island
- Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle
- Joanna Coles Lets Her 36-Year-Old Assistant Blog
- Beyoncé Wears Cow Print, Displays Sense of Humor
- Best Bet: Property Metallic Sack
- Selfie Yearbook 2013: Celebrity Superlatives
- 70 Fancy Gifts to Pine for This Holiday Season