Whitney Port told Ryan Seacrest that the rumors about The City being canceled are true! Well, she couched the embarrassing confession with a "really," but that's the gist of it:
"As of right now it doesn't really look like we're doing it anymore," said the 25-year-old fashion designer. When asked if it could possibly move from MTV to another network, Port said, "No, at this point it's not."
This is good for some people and organizations, bad for others.
People This News Is Good For:
• Elle magazine as a whole, which will no longer look silly for fake-employing a socialite who does no work and lacks a basic understanding of how offices operate.
• Elle editor Robbie Myers, who is infinitely more awesome, professional, and talented than MTV would allow her to look.
• The publishing industry, which no longer has The City going around as a "real-life model" of how the business is run. City myths, like the one in which magazine websites have "faces" appointed through a series of arbitrary contests and announced in staff meetings to applause and fanfare, can now be busted.
• Olivia Palermo, who now has the chance to position herself as someone much more likable than her character and who can actually enunciate her words in the presence of other people.
• Joe Zee, who can concentrate on his new Sundance show, which sounds fun, interesting, and full of hope! Instead of just dramatic, tacky, and full of fake hope.
• Lauren Conrad, who is returning to MTV with a show about her fashion business, or whatever sort of clothing venture she's scraping together. Now she has no leggy blondes to compete with for tween worship.
People This News Is Bad For:
• Whitney Port, who is now without a weekly nationally televised time slot, and will have to keep herself famous in other ways. "I'm working on some other things," Port told Seacrest. "It's okay, one door closes and another opens." Yeah, but what are the odds what lies behind it will be as sweet? Endorsement deals are supposed to be a side dish to fame, not the entrée.
• Olivia Palermo, who will have to find a way to get the exposure needed to position herself as someone much more likable than her character.
• Roxy Olin, who wanted to be an actress, and was amusing in her shredded-pants capacity on the show.
• Erin Kaplan, who looked like a serious badass for telling Olivia how it was every week. Can MTV just give her a spinoff?
We've left one important contingency off this list: YOU, the people. Where do you fall? Tell us why in those boxes down there.
It's Official: Whitney Port Says 'The City' Is Canceled [AUDIO] [Ryan Seacrest]
Most Viewed Stories
The Girls Pregnancy Plotline Says More About Us Than It Does About Hannah Horvath
The President of the United States Had a Big Day of Playing With Trucks
Former Thinx Employee Accuses Miki Agrawal of Sexual Harassment
GOP Senator Apologizes After Mocking Breast-Cancer Screening Coverage
Let’s Not Call Obama Stylish Just Yet
Report: Donald and Melania Trump Don’t Sleep in the Same Bed
52 Percent of Men Say They Haven’t Personally Benefited From Women Having Access to Birth Control
Cate Blanchett on the Judgment of Women, Face Mists, and How She’s Moisturized for Over a Decade
Kate Middleton Opens Up About Her Struggles With Motherhood
Why Millennial Pink Refuses to Go Away
Latest News from The CutWho Will Stop the Sparkly Tyranny of Unicorn Makeup?
The abomination of magical makeup is finally addressed.Looking for Love in Seven Different Cities
Jada Yuan tells Sex Lives about her Tinder tour of America.Nike’s Air Max Day Is a Great Excuse to Buy Cool, Rare Sneakers
It’s on March 26.See Clever Fashion Puns by an Instagram Artist
Angelica Hicks pokes fun at Karl Lagerfeld, Versace in her new book Tongue in Chic.RIP, Gchat
Google is officially forcing all users to switch to Hangouts. Rest easy, Gchat.What Is John Mayer Even Talking About?
He wants you to know he’s all good “anatomically and chemically.”Is Vitamin E Actually Good for My Skin?
Experts explain how vitamin E works.Five Skin-Care and Makeup Products I Used Till the Very Last Drop
Auf wiedersehen, my favorite bronzer.See 10 Years of Drake’s Coziest Looks From Timbs to Tom Ford
From ill-fitting jeans to polished suits.Laura Dern’s Mom Is Mad That She Was Mean to Reese Witherspoon on TV
Our new favorite celebrity-BFF duo.
“I stand here now amongst many of my romantic leading lady peers who are out and fluid. I’m one of many now, and I’m working.”The Ultimate Goop Guide to Lovemaking
Step two: Drink nothing but raw milk for a week.Lifehacks for the Dirtbag
Even lifehacks can be too much effort for some people.12 Inspiring Photos of Politicians Making Choices for You
Just your average year on Capitol Hill.Janelle Monáe and Diane Von Furstenberg Partied This Week
Plus: Jessica Joffe, Adam Selman, Rachel Roy.Let’s Not Call Obama Stylish Just Yet
It’s not exactly true that he ditched office and discovered fashion.How to Be a Person Again After Winter
A guide to rejoining society after our winter hibernation.The Girls Pregnancy Plotline Says More About Us Than It Does About Hannah Horvath
Dunham is thrusting us into the quagmire of judgment all women face when it comes to making decisions about their bodies.Watch Kendall Jenner Describe Her Terrifying Encounter With Her Stalker
“He’s at my window, banging at my window screaming at me.”The Artist Who’s an ‘Open Book’ on Social Media
Alexandra Marzella has strong feelings about both pants and politics.