Whitney Port told Ryan Seacrest that the rumors about The City being canceled are true! Well, she couched the embarrassing confession with a "really," but that's the gist of it:
"As of right now it doesn't really look like we're doing it anymore," said the 25-year-old fashion designer. When asked if it could possibly move from MTV to another network, Port said, "No, at this point it's not."
This is good for some people and organizations, bad for others.
People This News Is Good For:
• Elle magazine as a whole, which will no longer look silly for fake-employing a socialite who does no work and lacks a basic understanding of how offices operate.
• Elle editor Robbie Myers, who is infinitely more awesome, professional, and talented than MTV would allow her to look.
• The publishing industry, which no longer has The City going around as a "real-life model" of how the business is run. City myths, like the one in which magazine websites have "faces" appointed through a series of arbitrary contests and announced in staff meetings to applause and fanfare, can now be busted.
• Olivia Palermo, who now has the chance to position herself as someone much more likable than her character and who can actually enunciate her words in the presence of other people.
• Joe Zee, who can concentrate on his new Sundance show, which sounds fun, interesting, and full of hope! Instead of just dramatic, tacky, and full of fake hope.
• Lauren Conrad, who is returning to MTV with a show about her fashion business, or whatever sort of clothing venture she's scraping together. Now she has no leggy blondes to compete with for tween worship.
People This News Is Bad For:
• Whitney Port, who is now without a weekly nationally televised time slot, and will have to keep herself famous in other ways. "I'm working on some other things," Port told Seacrest. "It's okay, one door closes and another opens." Yeah, but what are the odds what lies behind it will be as sweet? Endorsement deals are supposed to be a side dish to fame, not the entrée.
• Olivia Palermo, who will have to find a way to get the exposure needed to position herself as someone much more likable than her character.
• Roxy Olin, who wanted to be an actress, and was amusing in her shredded-pants capacity on the show.
• Erin Kaplan, who looked like a serious badass for telling Olivia how it was every week. Can MTV just give her a spinoff?
We've left one important contingency off this list: YOU, the people. Where do you fall? Tell us why in those boxes down there.
It's Official: Whitney Port Says 'The City' Is Canceled [AUDIO] [Ryan Seacrest]
Most Viewed Stories
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
Jaden Smith on the Many Subtle Flavors of Water
Kim Kardashian Might Vote for Donald Trump
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
If You See Brad Pitt As a Fallen Hero, It’s Because the Rules Have Changed
Kylie Jenner’s Getting Sucked Into Tyga’s Debt Problems
Taylor Swift’s Squad Begged Kim Kardashian for Mercy
Bask in the Glory of This Dramatic Email Sent to a UCLA Freshman by Her Future Roommate
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutAdam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Unveiled Their Baby on Instagram
Her name is Dusty Rose Levine. Awwww.Beyoncé and Tina Knowles Did A Normal Mother/Daughter Thing
Houston’s Solid Gold Beauty Supply received the Queen Bey herself.Brad Pitt Probably Won’t Face Prosecution for Child Abuse
The Brangelina Divorce Machine marches on.North West Is a Pretty Great Flower Girl
Brides, prepared to be upstaged.The Kids From Stranger Things Are Hanging Out With Nicolas Ghesquière
Millie Bobby Brown, Caleb McLaughlin, and Gaten Matarazzo hit up Louis Vuitton’s HQ in Paris.A ‘Cagney & Lacey-Esque’ Police Drama Is Currently in Development at ABC
Bring. On. The Female. Detectives.Kylie Jenner’s Getting Sucked Into Tyga’s Debt Problems
She’ll have to answer questions under oath in the latest lawsuit against him.Lauren Hutton and Gigi Hadid Make the Best Intergenerational Model Pair
It was a major moment.Your Basement Gym Is No Match for These $10 Million Wellness Amenities
The two superstar brokers of Million Dollar Listing New York fame discuss.The NFL Is Taking Steps to Recruit More Women
It’s part of a major push for gender equality.
When it comes to white denim, the only rule is that it should flatter you.Hotel Counts Sensual Framed Photos of Jeff Goldblum Among Its Amenities
A true luxury.The Cabal of Fabulous Rich Ladies Who Built Gustav Klimt’s Career
Their stories and portraits are featured in a new exhibit at Neue Galerie New York.The Chanel No.5 Launch Party Was the No. 1 Place to Be in L.A. Last Night
It doesn’t get any better than Nas and Chanel bags.An Uber Operator Allegedly Laughed at a Man for Calling to Report a Sexual Assault
The driver has since been permanently banned.Kate Moss and Paris Hilton Partied This Week
People cried while waiting for Gigi Hadid.See the Newest Fashion Campaigns for Fall
Including Pharrell’s democratic G-Star campaign, Fenty Puma by Rihanna, and Acne Studios.Kim Kardashian Might Vote for Donald Trump
Oh, dear.A Black Woman Painted Her Entire Body White to Protest Police Brutality, and Facebook Removed the Video
It took hours for the platform to restore her video.Toxic Masculinity Causing Men to Avoid Tofu and Exclamation Points
Men aren’t the only jerks who text with periods.