Kajal Ruia is living a dream. Last year the Manchester native decided to leave behind her job at Lloyds Banking Group in the U.K. to do what she actually wanted do to: open a fancy shoe store in New York. Her shop, Ruia, opened this month in a cozy 650-square-foot space at 65 Mercer Street, just north of Broome. Her boutique is the only place in the country where you'll find shoes by some of Kajal's favorite European brands, like Baldan and Loriblu. She's transformed the space into a girlish paradise with white rococo-inflected moldings, plenty of mirrors, and other shiny silver accents — and a television lounge upstairs so husbands, boyfriends, and other shoe-disinterested people can watch sports or something while their companions shop. If you're looking for a New Year's Eve party shoe and are in the mood to splurge, this is your spot. Check out the store and the stock in the slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Famous Person Dares To Wear Dress More Than Once
Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life
- Famous Person Dares To Wear Dress More Than Once
- WSJ Columnist: Time Warner Is a ‘Little Girl’
- Watch Lily McMenamy Do Crazy-Ass Yoga in Céline
- Katy Perry Says Volunteer for the Insta-Pix
- Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 21 Days to Go!
- A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life
- Party Pics: The First Wave From Art Basel Miami
- Gumbel Makes Barneys Race Joke to Barneys CEO
- Tyra Banks Is 40!
- Kimye Plans Super-Subtle Wedding at Versailles
- Liv Tyler Reminds Us to Say Please and Thank You
- Used Princess Di Clothes Sell for $140,000
- ‘Kamikaze Sperm’: Fighting Off Rivals?
- The Long, Strange Journey of Nell Scovell