A 24-minute behind-the-scenes video of Karl Lagerfeld's shoot of the 2011 Pirelli calendar, in which models portray ancient Greek and Roman gods, may be one of the most fascinating pieces of fashion film footage we've seen. Highlights include:
1. Expansive views of Karl's Paris studio, the walls of which are filled with so many books that it hurts the brain to imagine what he'd have to do if he ever found a bedbug.
2. Abbey Lee Kershaw speaking about Karl, especially when she calls him "the Einstein of high fashion."
3. Daria Werbowy pontificating about models. "We're kind of unearthly human beings," she says. No shit.
4. Julianne Moore posing as the only non-model on the shoot. Karl says he never expected her to do it, but then she explains that basically she couldn't say no to the ultimate validation of her hotness.
5. The nudity in this year's calendar, which feels artistic rather than raunchy and gratuitous as it has in years past. Karl seems to be celebrating the strength and beauty of the naked or nearly naked human body, a striking departure from Terry Richardson's shoot, where he had the girls get naked in the forest and hug sloths.
6. Karl discussing retouching. He decides Erin Wasson's shots are so good they don't need retouching.
7. What models do when their shoot is done. Have you ever wondered if a model who is naked on set bothers covering up when she's done and goes to look at her shots with the photographer or just stays naked because she has nothing to hide? See in the video.
Most Viewed Stories
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Donald Trump Spent the Morning After the Debate Fat-Shaming Miss Universe, Again
Hillary Clinton’s Sickest Debate Burns
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Area Woman Interrupted by Man 25 Times in 26 Minutes
Our Scowling Hero Breaks a Smile
From Our Partners
The Zoe Report
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.