The noted and lovely fashion photographer Nigel Barker ate breakfast with the press this morning to discuss his new book about being beautiful inside and out, Beauty Equation. Barker is a straight man who cares — and, perhaps more rarely, thinks — about female empowerment. As such, he's not a fan of plastic surgery or too much retouching, which is what made him like the nude W spread Kim Kardashian posed for and then complained about. "I thought it was daring of her. I thought she actually looked amazing, and I was surprised how little they retouched her," Barker told us. "I thought that was refreshing. I immediately thought, when I heard it, that I was going to check these out and they'd look like silk or something, and be retouched to oblivion. But, no, there she was, and you could see little goosebumps on her bottom, and all the rest of it. And I was like, 'Okay. Great.' It was cool. It's back to what photography is about — we're not trying to be animators. We're meant to be photographers. The fantasy should not be a computer game."
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb