Melding fashion and experimental art, collaborative jewelry line Orly Genger by Jaclyn Mayer translates Genger’s large-scale rope installations into twisted statement jewelry. The pair originally met at a gallery where Genger was staging an exhibition: She is known for her hand-knotted, painted sculptures, while Mayer studied design at the London College of Fashion and interned at Mayle and Doo.Ri before launching her own label. After one of Mayer’s necklaces garnered a slew of compliments at an art opening in 2009, the two decided to collaborate, combining Genger’s techniques and Mayer’s designs. Their line of woven necklaces, bracelets, and belts were featured on the spring 2010 runways at Lela Rose and VPL, and they reprised the collaboration with Victoria Bartlett for fall 2011 last month, introducing a series of latex-wrapped chain necklaces. The handmade pieces are a study in contrasts, variously combining neon utility rope, gold and silver plated chains, thread fringe, cord, electrical tape, and more. Genger and Mayer are hosting a trunk show at Debut New York tomorrow from 7 to 9 p.m. to showcase their spring collection, and their designs are also stocked at Albertine, Elizabeth Charles, and Project No. 8. Click ahead to see more.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Wish List: Noor Fares Diamond Earrings
Fondling Men’s Boxers Makes Women Spendy
Riots and Diets: Admitting You Diet Is Radical
- Wish List: Noor Fares Diamond Earrings
- Fondling Men’s Boxers Makes Women Spendy
- Riots and Diets: Admitting You Diet Is Radical
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 6 Days to Go!
- Scientist Invents ‘Healthy’ Chocolate
- Sexting With a Tinder Spam-Bot, Things Get Weird
- Barneys Is Going to Reopen a Chelsea Location
- Justin Bieber Was Going for a Frank Sinatra Look
- Fabulously Festive: Jonathan Adler Handbags
- Meet Wayne Goss, YouTube's Male Makeup Star
- Heidi Klum Has Five Christmas Trees Too Many
- My Real-Life Her: Who Needs a Body to Have Sex?
- Versace Is Probably Going to Get Even Sexier
- Hot Men in Warm Sweaters
- Audrey Gelman and Terry Richardson Split