The resort, or cruise collections, as they have been known, are off on the sort of leisurely schedule ladies might have on the vacations for which they're supposed to wear these clothes. Over the next couple of months, designers will roll out their 2012 resort things, and yesterday evening, it was Oscar de la Renta's turn. In a raw space on the 25th floor of a building directly across from Fashion Week's old home, Bryant Park, the designer started just seven minutes past the scheduled start time (he has a habit of starting promptly, causing many people — important ones at that — to miss his shows, so by now most have learned their lessons and show up early). The show opened with boleros and dresses with Picasso-inspired prints, and finished with floor-skimming gowns in brilliant shades of green, coral, and aqua. Most models wore paper hats, which, de la Renta told us after the show as he greeted exiting guests, he thought "gave proportion to the clothes" — and were not conceived out of royal wedding hat fever, or something. Why paper? "We don't sell hats," he said. "And it made a statement, and we had a good time doing it in the studio. It was a spoof on a hat." Well, when he puts it that way — is he sure fashion hasn't caught London's hat affinity?
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb