At Harvey Nichols in London this week, Italian Vogue editor Franca Sozzani headlined a daylong "Vogue Experience" event, where part of the store's fourth floor was transformed to look like her magazine's office space (to make her feel at home, no doubt). It served as a networking for bright and starry-eyed young folk hoping to jump-start careers in the fashion industry, with Sozzani, LOVE editor Katie Grand, designers Christopher Kane, Philip Treacy, and Manolo Blahnik, and journalists Lisa Armstrong and Sarah Mower offering insight and advice, viewing portfolios, and generally just being fawned over. Between counseling the event's many attendees, Sozzani took some time to chat with us about her magazine's partnership with America's Next Top Model. "When I was there — to see these girls, they all cry when one is the winner. And they all go to the winner and they kiss her and they all cry, and I think, 'I am not sure they are happy for her.' But at the same time I know they are happy they have made it that far all together, so it makes me laugh and not cry at the least," said Sozzani, who guest judges each season and gives the winner the cover of Italian Vogue's beauty supplement and a spread in the regular issue. But she's right: It takes all of five minutes watching Top Model to know that most of the girls are about three steps away from maiming each other with curling irons — it's certainly not about collective happiness.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel