Do you remember what you thought when you saw Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie emerge at Kate Middleton and Prince William's wedding? "The first thing I thought was, 'They invited drag queens to the wedding?' I really did, and then I saw the descriptions [of who they were] and can't believe I thought that," says Melinda Wax, professor of millinery at Parsons in New York. But she's not saying that to be mean — she says that because she can see more plainly than most people on this planet that those hats were just not right for the girls. Over the weekend, they got the chance to make up for those mistakes at Zara Phillips's wedding, which brought the long season of high-profile, hat-necessitating British weddings to an end (for now, anyway). Today, we asked Wax to help us comprehend and properly critique the new batch of hats. "If you understand design and you understand fashion, hats are really no different," Wax explains. "If you immediately get a bad feeling about a jacket or a scarf or a hat — you never want a hat to overwhelm an outfit. A person's face is the most important thing to look at and any piece of clothing that overwhelms that is making the same mistake that the wrong hat does." Read on for Wax's thoughts on a few specific — and striking — looks.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet Rouge New York, the Blowout Bar of Makeup
Wish List: Nicholas Kirkwood’s Bondage Heels
Happy Birthday, Joan Didion!
- Meet Rouge New York, the Blowout Bar of Makeup
- Cities Ranked by Fake Instagram Happiness
- See Sexy Seventies Glamour From American Hustle
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 20 Days to Go!
- An Homage to the Lovely, Feisty Barbara Stanwyck
- Wish List: Nicholas Kirkwood’s Bondage Heels
- Kids Struggle With Platonic Friendship, Too
- Victorian Moms Creepin’ in Photo Portraits
- 16 Pretty Finds in Pantone's Radiant Orchid
- Happy Birthday, Joan Didion!
- Will Nixing ‘Fashion Bloggers’ Fix Fashion Week?
- Date Miley Cyrus by Dressing Exactly Like Her
- Kim and Kanye Deny Versailles Wedding
- Jessica Hart, Kim, Kanye & More at Art Basel
- Best Bet: Hive and Honey Military Twill Pants