The spring 2012 shows begin in New York next Thursday, giving consumers a taste of what they'll be wearing a little less than a year from now. Trends take time to go from the runways to the streets, and designers must be tenacious if they want to convince consumers to ditch their seven pairs of skinny jeans in order to invest in new kinds of pants that don't look like sausage casings. With the new decade in its fifth show season, which items will shape up to be staples, and which were just fads? We analyzed some of last spring's biggest trends, ranging from banana prints to stripes to head-to-toe denim to neon, to predict what will stick around this season and what you can safely pretend never happened.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Kate Middleton Debuts Sad, Droopy Ponytail
Meet Rouge New York, the Blowout Bar of Makeup
Wish List: Nicholas Kirkwood’s Bondage Heels
- Glenn O’Brien Is Now a Priest Named Father G.
- Kate Middleton Debuts Sad, Droopy Ponytail
- John Boehner Teaching GOP How to Talk to Chicks
- Meet Rouge New York, the Blowout Bar of Makeup
- Cities Ranked by Fake Instagram Happiness
- See Sexy Seventies Glamour From American Hustle
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 20 Days to Go!
- An Homage to the Lovely, Feisty Barbara Stanwyck
- Wish List: Nicholas Kirkwood’s Bondage Heels
- Kids Struggle With Platonic Friendship, Too
- Victorian Moms Creepin’ in Photo Portraits
- 16 Pretty Finds in Pantone's Radiant Orchid
- Happy Birthday, Joan Didion!
- Will Nixing ‘Fashion Bloggers’ Fix Fashion Week?
- Date Miley Cyrus by Dressing Exactly Like Her