September is the most important month for fashion magazines. It's their big chance to debut all the fancy fall clothes most of us won't be buying. The editorials ranged from the inspired — an aging Amber Valletta in W — to the off-putting — Karlie Kloss wearing Miu Miu and a black wig in a factory in China. September's standout divas include Beyoncé with a snake in InStyle and Björk as though she were a Picasso painting in Dazed & Confused. There was also a good dose of confusing, seen in Allure with a dentist-themed spread, and in Vogue with a Chihuahua wearing a sombrero and bib, not that you will ever hear a complaint from us about dressed-up animals. See those images and many more in the slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament