One hundred fashion houses are represented in F.I.T.'s latest exhibit, "The Great Designers,"organized by Colleen Hill, Jennifer Farley, Fred Dennis, and Valerie Steele, who selected at least one archival piece from each house that best represents its aesthetic. The assortment wound up being so large, though, that F.I.T. has had to split it into two separate exhibits of 50 designers. Part One is now on view through May 8, and the second half kicks off on May 23. See a sampling of the garments, including a fantastic silver lamé evening gown by Thierry Mugler and an enormous saffron-colored ball skirt by Oscar de la Renta, in our slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Wish List: Noor Fares Diamond Earrings
Fondling Men’s Boxers Makes Women Spendy
Riots and Diets: Admitting You Diet Is Radical
- Wish List: Noor Fares Diamond Earrings
- Fondling Men’s Boxers Makes Women Spendy
- Riots and Diets: Admitting You Diet Is Radical
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 6 Days to Go!
- Scientist Invents ‘Healthy’ Chocolate
- Sexting With a Tinder Spam-Bot, Things Get Weird
- Barneys Is Going to Reopen a Chelsea Location
- Justin Bieber Was Going for a Frank Sinatra Look
- Fabulously Festive: Jonathan Adler Handbags
- Meet Wayne Goss, YouTube's Male Makeup Star
- Heidi Klum Has Five Christmas Trees Too Many
- My Real-Life Her: Who Needs a Body to Have Sex?
- Versace Is Probably Going to Get Even Sexier
- Hot Men in Warm Sweaters
- Audrey Gelman and Terry Richardson Split