You won't get to watch the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show on TV until November 29, but the show taped last night in front of 1,100 celebrities, reporters, select friends of CBS, and guests of the models in the show. Mostly, however, the crowd consisted of men in suits, which is an odd atmosphere for anyone who's gone to a number of regular fashion shows, because those conspicuously lack a straight-male contingent. Backstage earlier in the day, Victoria's Secret president Ed Razek told a reporter that the audience includes "a lot of people in the financial sector," and according to The Wall Street Journal's Elizabeth Holmes, parent company Limited Brands gives tickets to analysts who cover Victoria's Secret, probably to encourage them to rate the stock favorably. As Razek said last night, the $13 million spent on the show is "an investment." Certainly, no matter how you feel about how the show objectifies the models, what happens on the runway is a glittery, celebrity-filled spectacle that's hard to ignore. See highlights in the slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament