Miracle of miracles, there is restraint on this here Internet. Recently, a thread for Sasha and Malia Obama on the Fashion Spot emerged in my RSS feed (this was before the flurry of publicity over how they looked at the Christmas in Washington concert on Sunday). I clicked into the feed and: access denied. The Fashion Spot's managing director, Dana Glazer, explains that the ten-year-old site has a strict policy on who gets covered in the user-generated threads, which is arguably the most comprehensive forum resource for magazine editorials, advertising campaigns, and news about industry figures and fashion-forward celebrities. While those forums might feel completely insane and eerily obsessive, they are carefully policed by the site's moderators. Threads about celebrity children, like the Obama girls, are not allowed. Forum topics are limited to celebrities who are 14 years and older, though exceptions are made for people like Elle Fanning, who regularly wears labels like Rodarte and Louis Vuitton and has established just the sort of style sense the site aims to cover. The policy came about not just for legal reasons, but also to preserve the privacy of kids who may not have chosen to become fashion people. Also, Glazer adds, "Fashion is a term that's used really loosely these days." It's true: just think of all the random celebrities with "fashion" lines.
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel