Beards are hardly an innovation in men's fashion. We've seen many a whisker on runways before, and they ebb and flow each year just like eyebrows in the womenswear shows. But this season, beards were out in full force, some to an extreme degree. Vivienne Westwood frosted her models' faux-facial hair with snow and ice for an extra-rugged mountain-man look, while Paul Smith and Umit Benan pruned their models' chin hairs into rounded, shrublike clouds. There were exceptions to the bushiness, though: Some designers, like Hermès and Roberto Cavalli, showed closely cropped beards that more closely resembled a few days' worth of scruff. Also of note: An exciting frequency of ginger beards! Take a look of the season's best beards in the slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Cannes Day 9: Princess Charlene and Heidi Klum
- The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
- U.N. Pressures Prada to Stop Discrimination
- McCartney’s Asia Tour Culminates With Kate Moss
- Every Outfit Olivia Has Worn on Scandal Season 2
- When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
- Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Balenciaga’s New Bag: A Versatile Summer Option
- Issa’s Designer, Daniella Helayel, Quits Label
- Pussy Riot’s Maria Alyokhina Denied Parole
- GIF Lesson: How to Give Thin Hair Extra Volume
- The 45 Most Gorgeous, Famous Gems of All Time
- Barack Obama Prom Pictures
- Watch: Supercut of Pop Culture’s Best Promzillas
- Men No Longer Just Pieces of Meat