In the vein of other arty fashion magazines' Asian-themed issues, i-D magazine's new pre-spring one celebrates the Chinese New Year with twelve new covers (five more are yet to be released). Four will front newsstand issues of the magazine, while eight more will appear online only. Shot by renowned Chinese fashion photographer Chen Man in collaboration with MAC makeup artists, "the series of portraits [celebrate] the diversity of beauty in China today." Yet do the covers truly emphasize diverse beauty in Asia, or do they come across mostly as another token Asia-themed issue that homogenizes the continent's populace? Whatever your stance, the images are still, visually, pretty stunning.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament