In the vein of other arty fashion magazines' Asian-themed issues, i-D magazine's new pre-spring one celebrates the Chinese New Year with twelve new covers (five more are yet to be released). Four will front newsstand issues of the magazine, while eight more will appear online only. Shot by renowned Chinese fashion photographer Chen Man in collaboration with MAC makeup artists, "the series of portraits [celebrate] the diversity of beauty in China today." Yet do the covers truly emphasize diverse beauty in Asia, or do they come across mostly as another token Asia-themed issue that homogenizes the continent's populace? Whatever your stance, the images are still, visually, pretty stunning.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- Beyoncé Just Dropped an Album With No Warning
- SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
- Susan Sarandon Was High at Most Hollywood Events
- How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
- Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- There’s a Six-Hour Line for the Trendiest Selfie
- The Best and Worst of December Fashion Magazines
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 13 Days to Go!
- Meet SAMMA: A Minimal, Pared-Down Jewelry Line
- Help: I’m a People-Pleaser, and I Hate It
- Lorde and Taylor Swift Are Now Bosom Buddies
- See: Flash Mob Ballet at Van Cleef & Arpels
- Adam Levine Brings You Sexiest Health-Care Alive
- How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- The Year in Street Style: Céline Wins!