As soon as Viola Davis stepped onto the red carpet last night, everyone started fussing about her hair, because it was ... hers. Not a wig or a weave, but just her very own hair growing out of her scalp like hair does. Tweets about Viola "going natural" flew around, and everyone gushed about how great it looked (which it did, of course, but not any greater than lots of other actresses'). Some folks even went so far as to call her hair choice "revolutionary" — André Leon Talley called it "groundbreaking." Meanwhile, the Daily Beast wrote that it "instantly lift[ed] the lid from the bubbling pot of anger, judgment, and debate often directed toward African-American women and the varying states of their textured tresses." Goodness! Davis certainly looked lovely, but doesn't this fuss detract from what should be a perfectly normal thing — a talented black woman at the Oscars with her hair the way she likes it?
Mary-Kate Not Leaving the Ring Up to Olivier
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Mary-Kate Not Leaving the Ring Up to Olivier
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!