A sparkly evening dress has become standard going-out attire — just look at the meatpacking district on your average Saturday night. But rather than churning out sequin-encrusted minidresses, designers are going for something more subtle this season, adding gem detailing to body-conscious sheath dresses. At Cynthia Rowley, a sporty periwinkle tank dress was layered over a turtleneck and featured a smattering of oversize gem clusters. Jason Wu's collection showcased embellished eveningwear like this oxblood satin sheath, trimmed with black piping and covered in gold gems. And at Diane Von Furstenberg, a demure long-sleeved dress shone with swishy gold-chained pailettes. These are not the kind of dresses you see tripping over the cobblestones at 3 a.m., to be sure.
Best Bet: Joe Fresh Pleated Tuxedo Shirt
Defense Bill Deal Delays Sexual Assault Vote
Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Best Bet: Joe Fresh Pleated Tuxedo Shirt
- Defense Bill Deal Delays Sexual Assault Vote
- Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 16 Days to Go!
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Hairdo
- Why We Can't Let Men Off the Hook on Housework
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island
- Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle
- Joanna Coles Lets Her 36-Year-Old Assistant Blog
- Beyoncé Wears Cow Print, Displays Sense of Humor
- Best Bet: Property Metallic Sack