It's a well-known fact that many actors are much shorter in real life than they appear onscreen. Their cover is blown when they show up on a red carpet looking like gnomes next to their high-heeled female counterparts. Luckily, just as lady celebrities have stylists to spiff them up, male celebrities have helpers, too. Enter Alan Au, men's stylist and co-owner of Jimmy Au’s For Men 5’8” and Under, a Hollywood-based designer menswear store for gentlemen of petite stature. Alan and his father Jimmy have outfitted many big stars (fame-wise, at least) like Nathan Lane, Martin Sheen, and Mark Wahlberg for red carpets in the past. Although this year's Oscar nominees were an unusually tall bunch, Alan weighed in on the importance of dressing according to one's body type to look as statuesque as possible. See his commentary in our slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Wish List: Nicholas Kirkwood’s Bondage Heels
Happy Birthday, Joan Didion!
Will Nixing ‘Fashion Bloggers’ Fix Fashion Week?
- Wish List: Nicholas Kirkwood’s Bondage Heels
- Kids Struggle With Platonic Friendship, Too
- Victorian Moms Creepin’ in Photo Portraits
- 16 Pretty Finds in Pantone's Radiant Orchid
- Happy Birthday, Joan Didion!
- Will Nixing ‘Fashion Bloggers’ Fix Fashion Week?
- Date Miley Cyrus by Dressing Exactly Like Her
- Kim and Kanye Deny Versailles Wedding
- Jessica Hart, Kim, Kanye & More at Art Basel
- Best Bet: Hive and Honey Military Twill Pants
- Cressida Bonas’s Baby Book: What Does It Mean?
- Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid?
- Is Sex a Workout?
- ‘Hard-Wired’ Sex Differences Are Meaningless
- Adam Levine Doesn’t Brush His Teeth