This Sunday, breasts will heave, hearts will warm, arms will be muscular, letters will be omitted, and socks will probably be mismatched. We're not talking about the Super Bowl — we're talking about the Super Bowl halftime show! Madonna has been hired to entertain us for twelve minutes with the help of M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj. She's expected to perform her new song, the unremarkably titled but appropriately letter-omitting "Give Me All Your Luvin'" from her new album MDNA, along with three other old hits. MDNA is pun enough to get us super excited about the show, but in case you need additional reasons to get pumped, here is a list — because this game doesn't have to be entirely boring.
1. It's a diva trio. M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj are the modern-day amazing equivalent of that other performance Madonna did with two pop stars nearly ten years ago (so yes, you are that old, congrats!) at the VMAs. You know, where she kissed Britney with tongue during a "Like a Virgin" performance, and she also kissed Christina Aguilera but you couldn't see the tongue, so Christina didn't get any attention for it? Well, now that Madonna's already done that, and she is the mother of reinvention, she'll have to put fake lesbianism aside because it's such passé, low-hanging fruit for a pop star nowadays. Maybe they can do a highly choreographed hand clap, or something.
2. Just think of the Joan Rivers jokes. When reviewing Golden Globes dresses on Fashion Police, Joan astutely noted that Madonna's looked "like a disco ball that had sex with a quilt."
4. It's a slate-cleaner. Remember last year's halftime show? With the Black Eyed Peas doing something Tron movie–themed with a random appearance by Slash that couldn't even save it because the Peas were wearing suits that lit up in the most embarrassing way, and most of the cheering and clapping came from a flash mob of dancers dressed in white jumpsuits, like painters? And all you could think was, "Ugh, TOOLS"? Well, Madonna has the chance to undo some of that.
5. It's all a big drug reference. In case you thought MDNA was just about doing that trendy naming thing restaurants like BRGR and STK do while simultaneously making a clever biology reference, Madge explained on Leno recently that it was also a play on the drug MDMA.
6. Do you remember the eighties? (Again: congrats on being old.) We assembled a slideshow of Madonna from 1984 to 1987 to help you recall.
7. The clothes. Madonna, especially in her heyday, M.I.A., and Nicki Minaj are some of the most creatively attired people in the world. The one thing they'll have to avoid to live up to their reputations as amazing, innovative dressers is wearing costumes that are just slutty riffs of football uniforms, as past diva halftime-show performers Britney Spears and Fergie have done. (Though one might argue that look is kind of a staple of Fergie's style.) Having worn one glove to the Golden Globes, Madonna wore two gloves to her halftime show press conference with her sleeveless top, for no other reason than it is on.
8. It's MADONNA.BEGIN SLIDESHOW
Most Viewed Stories
Mary-Kate Olsen Strains Every Muscle in Her Face in an Attempt to Smile
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of September 26
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.