While this past fashion month seemed dominated by a game of high-stakes haute musical chairs (Raf Simons out at Jil Sander! Stefano Pilati out at YSL! Hedi Slimane in at YSL!), designers still managed to deliver a knockout season of clothes, sure to make glossy September issues and overstuffed closets even fatter. The words opulence and baroque were uttered repeatedly in reference to the heavily beaded pieces shown by the likes of Dolce & Gabbana, Balmain, and Lanvin. Oxblood red was the breakout color in New York, while winter white was popular across many cities. Patterned and sharply cut suits popped up in Europe, extending the head-to-toe-pattern trend seen during pre-fall. Tying it all together were quirky hats perhaps more suited for the runway than reality (but never say never). Click ahead to see all of these looks and more in our comprehensive trends slideshow.
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament