For all but the most devout purists, the factors that dictate a fashion show’s impact go well beyond the clothes. The music, lighting, setting, special effects, and color palette create an effect more akin to theater or performance art. Fashion week productions have become increasingly elaborate over the years for many labels, justifying sprawling sets and exorbitant shipping costs. This season, McQ imported thousands of fallen leaves, Marc Jacobs built an eerie, whimsical kingdom from paper in a week, and Rick Owens backed his runway in a wall of flames. Click ahead to view the most impressive set designs from New York, London, Milan, and Paris. Who delivered the best Fashion Week spectacle?
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament