In a season teeming with splashy, editorially friendly trends like patterned suits, over-the-top beading, and statement hats, designers did not entirely lose sight of the practical, many opening their shows with winter friendly, wear-them-to-pieces coats. Fur-trimmed, printed parkas were the story at Altuzarra and Mulberry, while, over at Dries van Noten and Chloé, unexpected details, such as horn and lace, made plain wool all the more appealing. And for the minimalists, Lanvin, Jil Sander, and Rachel Comey whipped up a few frill-free offerings that are far from boring. Sure, the weather might be trending toward balmy from here on out, but, come November, you'll be thrilled at the prospect of bundling up in one of these. And it's best to mark your territory now -- since we're currently in the age of the "It" coat, these things tend to sell out fast. Click through to see the fifteen best options from fall 2012.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 16 Days to Go!
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Hairdo
- Why We Can't Let Men Off the Hook on Housework
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island
- Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle
- Joanna Coles Lets Her 36-Year-Old Assistant Blog
- Beyoncé Wears Cow Print, Displays Sense of Humor
- Best Bet: Property Metallic Sack
- Selfie Yearbook 2013: Celebrity Superlatives
- 70 Fancy Gifts to Pine for This Holiday Season