HBO's new show Girls premiered last night, and the costumes were just as gritty (and at times unglamorous) as promised. Hannah kicked off the episode at dinner with her parents in a vintage dress — a perfect nod to the way certain Brooklyn girls "dress up" like versions of their moms from the eighties. She then goes to sleep with her roommate, Marnie, both in T-shirts, while we endure the omnipresence of Marnie's cardigan-clad boyfriend. Bohemian Jessa arrives straight from a Parisian adventure on the doorstep of her pink tracksuit-wearing cousin Shoshanna, telling us everything we need to know about the differences between them. Worst of all (but most hilariously), we suffer through Hannah's humiliation while she lies face-down on a couch, trying to remove her tights before her love interest returns with the lube. Click through our slideshow for a scene-by-scene analysis of each look.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
- Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
- Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Happy Birthday, Jeff Bridges!
- Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
- WSJ Columnist: Time Warner Is a ‘Little Girl’
- Watch Lily McMenamy Do Crazy-Ass Yoga in Céline
- Katy Perry Says Volunteer for the Insta-Pix
- Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 21 Days to Go!
- A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life
- Party Pics: The First Wave From Art Basel Miami
- Gumbel Makes Barneys Race Joke to Barneys CEO
- Tyra Banks Is 40!
- Kimye Plans Super-Subtle Wedding at Versailles