HBO's new show Girls premiered last night, and the costumes were just as gritty (and at times unglamorous) as promised. Hannah kicked off the episode at dinner with her parents in a vintage dress — a perfect nod to the way certain Brooklyn girls "dress up" like versions of their moms from the eighties. She then goes to sleep with her roommate, Marnie, both in T-shirts, while we endure the omnipresence of Marnie's cardigan-clad boyfriend. Bohemian Jessa arrives straight from a Parisian adventure on the doorstep of her pink tracksuit-wearing cousin Shoshanna, telling us everything we need to know about the differences between them. Worst of all (but most hilariously), we suffer through Hannah's humiliation while she lies face-down on a couch, trying to remove her tights before her love interest returns with the lube. Click through our slideshow for a scene-by-scene analysis of each look.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Cannes Day 9: Princess Charlene and Heidi Klum
- The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
- U.N. Pressures Prada to Stop Discrimination
- McCartney’s Asia Tour Culminates With Kate Moss
- Every Outfit Olivia Has Worn on Scandal Season 2
- When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
- Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Balenciaga’s New Bag: A Versatile Summer Option
- Issa’s Designer, Daniella Helayel, Quits Label
- Pussy Riot’s Maria Alyokhina Denied Parole
- GIF Lesson: How to Give Thin Hair Extra Volume
- The 45 Most Gorgeous, Famous Gems of All Time
- Barack Obama Prom Pictures
- Watch: Supercut of Pop Culture’s Best Promzillas
- Men No Longer Just Pieces of Meat