The annual Coachella music festival begins tomorrow, and this year, the party will run two full weekends and feature dozens of bands, from Radiohead and M83 to tUnE-yArDs and Girls. In order to prepare you for what will surely be a riot of style — replete with shirtless dudes, long-haired teenagers, and the never-disappointing looks of the musicians themselves — we've compiled an album of vintage pics from the early days of rock rebellion. Click through our slideshow to see Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, and Bob Dylan ... along with a bunch of splendid hippie hairdos that will put anything you come across on this season's circuit to shame.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament