Try as you might, chances are there will be at least one weekend this summer that will require wearing a bathing suit. It may seem as though every store is filled with skimpy bikinis or frumpy one-pieces, but fear not! The fifties are back, and the trend is reflected in retro-silhouetted swimwear, with designers creating high-waisted bikinis or thigh-skimming maillots that will universally flatter figures. Show a peek of skin with a bandeau paired with a navel-grazing bottom, or channel Gidget in a halter one-piece. Add some shades and you'll be ready to beat the heat. Click through our slideshow to see retro-inspired swimsuits perfect for lounging by the pool or seaside.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament