Tomorrow begins the 65th Festival de Cannes, the international playground of topless starlets, experimental directors, and film-world power players. Many stars have made their debuts there, and the lucky ones — Sophia Loren, Ingrid Bergman, Monica Vitti, Brigitte Bardot, et al — have returned year after year. The combination of yachting, frolicking on the beach, and black tie galas has always provided plenty of opportunities for low-key chic (think Jane Birkin, Charlotte Rampling, or Anita Pallenberg), as well as red carpet glamour (Grace Kelly, Vanessa Redgrave, and Natalie Wood). Click through our slideshow to see some of these ladies, plus David Bowie, Mariel Hemingway, Jack Nicholson, and more living it up on the Côte d'Azur.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament