Tomorrow begins the 65th Festival de Cannes, the international playground of topless starlets, experimental directors, and film-world power players. Many stars have made their debuts there, and the lucky ones — Sophia Loren, Ingrid Bergman, Monica Vitti, Brigitte Bardot, et al — have returned year after year. The combination of yachting, frolicking on the beach, and black tie galas has always provided plenty of opportunities for low-key chic (think Jane Birkin, Charlotte Rampling, or Anita Pallenberg), as well as red carpet glamour (Grace Kelly, Vanessa Redgrave, and Natalie Wood). Click through our slideshow to see some of these ladies, plus David Bowie, Mariel Hemingway, Jack Nicholson, and more living it up on the Côte d'Azur.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve