Unless you get gel manicures or nail wraps, your nails are going to chip. (It's true.) And especially if you aren't careful, they’ll chip before you even walk out of the salon (if this happens, go back inside and get it fixed; most salons do this without any extra charge). Your nails are out in the wild, well, handling things. I like to keep my nails short, just below the finger tips, to protect them from coming in constant contact with my computer keyboard, but I’m also a horrible cuticle picker (I’ll address that in a different post), which usually gives my manicure even less staying power. Here’s what you can do to give your nails an extra day, or several.
• Make sure your nails aren’t covered in any oils (hand/cuticle creams) pre-manicure. The polish will adhere better to the nail if there isn’t any preexisting residue.
• When you get your nails painted, ask if your manicurist can add a quick layer to just the tips of the nails first (almost like a French manicure tip), then paint the whole nail like normal. Adding an extra layer of polish there means that, ultimately, the tips will actually have three coats and all the more protection.
• If the mood is right, go glitter. These polishes are usually pretty difficult to remove (and the reason why I hardly ever go with this option), let alone chip. Those sparkly suckers aren’t going anywhere because of just how well they bond to the nail.
• Use separate top and base coats, never a two-in-one. Do two-in-one products anywhere really work? The only successful combo ever, in my book, is the spork.
• My tried-and-true top coat is Essie's No Chips Ahead Chip Free Top Coat, which promises ten days of chip-free-ness. Without this, my manicure will last about two and a half days, but with the top coat, I can usually eek out another four solid days, and that's as good as it gets for me. I'm constantly opening product packages, which are public enemy number one to polished nails.
• If you're at a nail salon because you're incapable of painting your own nails like I am, I usually really milk my time under those dryer fans. I'm there for at least 25 minutes, which gives me plenty of time to finish all the watermelon-flavored Jolly Ranchers in my salon's candy bowl.
• And if you’re really committed to the cause, pull a Diane Keaton and wear gloves all the time.
Essie's No Chips Ahead Chip Free Top Coat, $8, Macy's.
Most Viewed Stories
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
I Tried Hillary Clinton’s Diet and Now I Sympathize With Her
The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
Misty Copeland Did Her Own Makeup for This Ballet Book
Blac Chyna Tweets Out Rob Kardashian’s Phone Number As an Apparent Warning to His Fangirls
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesAlcohol Will Make You Happier Instantly, As You Probably Know From Experience
Scientists say alcohol has the same effect as a rapid antidepressant.Vetements Taps Margiela Alum
The design collective will hire Margiela’s Nina Nitsche.The One Thing My Husband and I Have Never Fought About? Money.
Buying a Coke can feel as loaded as buying a new home.Democrat PAC Now Using a Pack of ‘Beauty Queens’ to Combat Trump
That’s certainly one tactic to try.Luxury Hotels Are Using Falcons to Protect Celebs From Paparazzi Drones
These falcons are trained to wipe out drones.I Tried Hillary Clinton’s Diet and Now I Sympathize With Her
I was also extremely hungry.The Weeknd Is Working on Some Fashion Projects With Puma
Expect a footwear and clothing collection next year.Blac Chyna Tweets Out Rob Kardashian’s Phone Number As an Apparent Warning to His Fangirls
That’s one way to get the man to change his number.Trump Spokesperson Says Hillary Clinton Has ‘Failed Miserably’ As a ‘Champion for Women’
We can agree to disagree.Kesha Shows Her Support for Miss Universe Alicia Machado After Being Body-Shamed by Donald Trump
“You did not deserve to be shamed by this monster.”
Whoopi Goldberg curated intimate portraits of the icon in a new exhibit, featuring photographs by Milton Greene.Nate Parker Addresses Rape Accusations in 60 Minutes Clip
He went on the record with Anderson Cooper.Paris Fashion Week’s Runways Are Still Overwhelmingly White
It’s been only three days but the numbers are bleak.Misty Copeland Did Her Own Makeup for This Ballet Book
She danced for photographer Gregg Delman's new book.Why Do All My Instagram Cats Keep Dying?
When real life encroaches on the virtual.Hunger Casts a Cruel, All-consuming Spell, Study Confirms
It’s stronger than thirst, fear, or social needs.Female Chess Players Are Furious About Having to Wear Hijabs at the World Championship in Iran
The world championship tournament is in Iran, where women are required to wear hijabs.Man in Tech Actually Admits He Was Wrong
Well, this is a first!The Other Kids in Jennifer Garner’s Daughter’s Class Have a Laptop, Why Can’t She?
Jen told Today she didn’t know tweens need computers.How Do You Follow a Great Designer?
Bouchra Jarrar’s first collection since taking over from Alber Elbaz at Lanvin.