Unless you get gel manicures or nail wraps, your nails are going to chip. (It's true.) And especially if you aren't careful, they’ll chip before you even walk out of the salon (if this happens, go back inside and get it fixed; most salons do this without any extra charge). Your nails are out in the wild, well, handling things. I like to keep my nails short, just below the finger tips, to protect them from coming in constant contact with my computer keyboard, but I’m also a horrible cuticle picker (I’ll address that in a different post), which usually gives my manicure even less staying power. Here’s what you can do to give your nails an extra day, or several.
• Make sure your nails aren’t covered in any oils (hand/cuticle creams) pre-manicure. The polish will adhere better to the nail if there isn’t any preexisting residue.
• When you get your nails painted, ask if your manicurist can add a quick layer to just the tips of the nails first (almost like a French manicure tip), then paint the whole nail like normal. Adding an extra layer of polish there means that, ultimately, the tips will actually have three coats and all the more protection.
• If the mood is right, go glitter. These polishes are usually pretty difficult to remove (and the reason why I hardly ever go with this option), let alone chip. Those sparkly suckers aren’t going anywhere because of just how well they bond to the nail.
• Use separate top and base coats, never a two-in-one. Do two-in-one products anywhere really work? The only successful combo ever, in my book, is the spork.
• My tried-and-true top coat is Essie's No Chips Ahead Chip Free Top Coat, which promises ten days of chip-free-ness. Without this, my manicure will last about two and a half days, but with the top coat, I can usually eek out another four solid days, and that's as good as it gets for me. I'm constantly opening product packages, which are public enemy number one to polished nails.
• If you're at a nail salon because you're incapable of painting your own nails like I am, I usually really milk my time under those dryer fans. I'm there for at least 25 minutes, which gives me plenty of time to finish all the watermelon-flavored Jolly Ranchers in my salon's candy bowl.
• And if you’re really committed to the cause, pull a Diane Keaton and wear gloves all the time.
Essie's No Chips Ahead Chip Free Top Coat, $8, Macy's.
Most Viewed Stories
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
The Divorced Mom Who Cries After Sex
What Romance Really Means After 10 Years of Marriage
Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of January 16
I’m Anti-Trump, But I Refuse to March
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesThe One With Kristen’s Comedy Show
The cast ofVanderpump Rules is never funnier than when they’re not trying to be funny.Women’s March on Washington Drops Anti-Choice Partner After Backlash
The Women’s March on Washington faced criticism after partnering with the anti-choice group “New Wave Feminists.”Jeff Goldblum and Emilie Livingston’s Baby Announcement Is Impressive
It’s a real balancing act.One of Kentucky’s Last Two Remaining Abortion Providers to Close Down
As of January 27th, there will only be one abortion clinic remaining in the state.Bella Hadid Got Two Incredibly Tiny Tattoos
Done by tiny tattoo expert JonBoy.Noor Salman, Wife of Pulse Nightclub Shooter, Arrested on Obstruction Charges
The widow previously said she knew nothing of Omar Mateen’s plans.Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
Atif Aslam wasn’t having it.Mariah’s Manager Writes a Message for Her in Lipstick
It’s on a hotel pillow and involves Mariah’s love life.Teen Who Was Abducted the Day She Was Born Reunites With Birth Family
Meanwhile, the man who raised Kamiyah Mobley and thought he was her father says it’s “a shock.”The Worst Thing About Episode One of The Young Pope: Baby Pyramid
Every week, we’ll tell you the worst thing about HBO’s new series The Young Pope.
The sun moves into Aquarius.The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
Experts share their best tips.Drake Gave Sasha Obama a Little Shout-out
Who’s a fan of whom here?Taylor Swift’s Home Might Become a Historic Landmark
She’s spent millions on restoring her Beverly Hills place to its 1934 glory.Lady Gaga, Danai Gurira, Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman Signed an Open Letter Supporting Education for Girls
The open letter is from campaigning and advocacy organization ONE.The Divorced Mom Who Cries After Sex
This week’s sex diary.This Pioneering Fashion Photographer Captured Complicated Women
Deborah Turbeville transformed fashion photography in the 1970s.Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
“I love this new world, I no longer have to be politically correct.”Saturday Night Live Takes Aim at The Bachelor’s Nick Viall
You know you’ve made it when SNL makes a sketch about you.British Prime Minister Theresa May Lands Her First Vogue Cover
Annie Leibovitz took the photos.