Back in the late nineties, Fiona Apple was a walking embodiment of the post-grunge girl. With her head of unwashed, unruly hair and a penchant for silk slip dresses, crop tops, and baggy jeans, she always managed to look feminine, rugged, fragile, and tough all at the same time (her saucer-sized, jade-colored eyes didn't hurt, either). She was only 19 years old when she released her chart-topping debut album, Tidal; now 34 years old, the Manhattan native has traded in her baby tees for floor-sweeping skirts and lots of lace. She'll never be a fashion plate, but she'll always be a fascinating-looking individual. Enjoy a look back at her outfits over the years.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Best of the Week’s Style Blogs: Winter Sneakers
Best Bet: Guerlain Crazy Paris Meteorite Pearls
Kate Middleton Debuts Sad, Droopy Ponytail
- 30 Fancy Box Clutches for Holiday Parties
- Best of the Week’s Style Blogs: Winter Sneakers
- Marion Cotillard’s Non-Dior Moment
- Best Bet: Guerlain Crazy Paris Meteorite Pearls
- Glenn O’Brien Is Now a Priest Named Father G.
- Kate Middleton Debuts Sad, Droopy Ponytail
- John Boehner Teaching GOP How to Talk to Chicks
- Meet Rouge New York, the Blowout Bar of Makeup
- Cities Ranked by Fake Instagram Happiness
- See Sexy Seventies Glamour From American Hustle
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 20 Days to Go!
- An Homage to the Lovely, Feisty Barbara Stanwyck
- Wish List: Nicholas Kirkwood’s Bondage Heels
- Kids Struggle With Platonic Friendship, Too
- Victorian Moms Creepin’ in Photo Portraits