In her Screen Test for the July issue of W, Smalls tells Lynn Hirschberg, "I did some modeling competitions in Puerto Rico when I was about 13, 14. So first ... out of your town, they pick a group of girls, then out of that group, you go to San Juan, which is a bigger city, and then you compete with all the girls from all of the different towns in Puerto Rico. I was a semi-finalist. And I lost. So losers sometimes end up winners." She also talks about getting her teeth fixed (upon an agent's suggestion) while going to college, making people believe she'd wear clothes that she necessarily wouldn't, and checking out the Victoria's Secret catalogue when she was younger.
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve