Ah, abs. Those wondrous things that, because of the recent release of Magic Mike, we are reminded to give thanks for this week (a.k.a. Gratuitous Male Objectification Week). Today, we'd like to acknowledge the historical importance of some of the forefathers of shirtlessness — the guys who paved the way for today's Channing Tatums and Matthew McConaugheys. Would Baby really have had the time of her life if Patrick Swayze had been wearing a shirt during all those dance lessons? Would Marky Mark have been able to produce such good vibrations without visible pecs? And where would Arnold Schwarzenegger be today if an image of hulking muscles didn't come to mind every time someone said, "Hasta la vista, baby"? Click through the slideshow to see all these half-naked dudes and more.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve