Last Saturday night, I did the kind of intrepid backstage reporting I never thought I would as a beauty editor: I went behind the scenes at New York City's Hunk-A-Mania show to find out about the grooming regimens of male strippers (this, of course, in honor of Gratuitous Male Objectification Week on The Cut). The scene: lots of incredibly fit dudes oiling up their pecs and abs — Johnson's Baby Oil is a favorite lubricant — and a fair amount of bare booties. Although it was incredibly hard to concentrate — the thumping music in the background being the least of the distractions — what became very clear is that these guys are serious performers (albeit the beefed-up, wearing-nothing-but-tiny-underpants kind). That said, they know how to look good onstage. While most guys follow a Male Stripper 101 regimen of body oil (see above) and assiduous manscaping (shaving at home with an electric razor is preferred over waxing), there were a few surprises, like taking "restorative" cold showers and gulping down cartons of egg whites. As "Jones," a veteran performer of fourteen years, told me, "You want to be a fantasy." Click through to see more tried-and-true beautification staples from the Hunk-A-Mania set.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Cannes Day 9: Princess Charlene and Heidi Klum
- The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
- U.N. Pressures Prada to Stop Discrimination
- McCartney’s Asia Tour Culminates With Kate Moss
- Every Outfit Olivia Has Worn on Scandal Season 2
- When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
- Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Balenciaga’s New Bag: A Versatile Summer Option
- Issa’s Designer, Daniella Helayel, Quits Label
- Pussy Riot’s Maria Alyokhina Denied Parole
- GIF Lesson: How to Give Thin Hair Extra Volume
- The 45 Most Gorgeous, Famous Gems of All Time
- Barack Obama Prom Pictures
- Watch: Supercut of Pop Culture’s Best Promzillas
- Men No Longer Just Pieces of Meat