Johnny Depp isn't picking up his CFDA Fashion Icon Award tonight; like International Award honoree Rei Kawakubo, he's assigned John Waters (fresh from his cross-country hitchhiking trip) to both present and accept his award on his behalf. To help soothe our stinging disappointment, we've assembled a slideshow of Depp's greatest fashion moments over the years — a daunting but ultimately rewarding task. See his fashion evolve from stone-washed denim in the eighties and mustard-colored suits and grungy leather (and Winona Rider and Kate Moss!) in the nineties to his present day love affair with pocket chains, hats of all kinds, and transition-lens glasses.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel