At most fashion events, an enthusiastic embrace consists of two cheek kisses — three if folks are really overjoyed to see each other — and some awkward fluttering that could be construed as a hug. So it was particularly adorable at last night's CFDA Awards when Billy Reid, blushing and stammering after winning the prize for Menswear Designer of the Year, greeted us backstage with a crushing bear hug. As our face was unexpectedly smushed against his jacket, we had a moment of panic that we might smear lip gloss on his lapels, but to our great relief, his clothes emerged unscathed from our embrace. (The award is particularly notable for him, as just a year and a half ago he was a relatively little-known, Alabama-based designer who became the dark-horse winner for the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Award.)
Without further ado, here are all of the 2012 CFDA Award winners and honorees:
Womenswear Designer of the Year Award: Ashley Olsen and Mary-Kate Olsen for the Row
Menswear Designer of the Year Award: Billy Reid
Accessory Designer of the Year Award: Reed Krakoff
Swarovski Award for Emerging Talent in Womenswear: Joseph Altuzarra
Swarovski Award for Emerging Talent in Menswear: Phillip Lim
Swarovski Award for Emerging Talent in Accessory Design: Tabitha Simmons
The Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award: Tommy Hilfiger
The Media Award, in honor of Eugenia Sheppard: Scott Schuman and Garance Doré
The Fashion Icon Award: Johnny Depp
The Founders Award, given in honor of Eleanor Lambert: Andrew Rosen
The International Award: Rei Kawakubo
Other highlights (and otherwise amusing and/or weird moments) from last night, in chronological order:
• Anna Wintour's enormous sequined bow.
• The awkward titters following Seth Meyers's John Galliano/bar mitzvah joke in his opening speech.
• The bizarre short film shown before Garance Doré and Scott Schuman's introduction, which they created out of home-video clips sent in by their adoring fans from around the world.
• The intro music for Jessica Paré: "Zou Bisou Bisou." How novel!
• John Waters's acceptance speeches for Rei Kawakubo and Johnny Depp, the latter of whom was "genuinely bewildered," Waters said, by his Fashion Icon title (obviously, his bewilderment makes him that much cooler).
• Ashley Olsen petting Mary-Kate's newly brunette hair onstage and the two of them thanking each other in their acceptance speech.
• The look of bloodthirsty joy on all of the photographers' faces backstage when they realized they'd get the Olsens all to themselves at the Winners' Walk step-and-repeat.
• Seeing Grace Coddington lunge through the crowd, red hair streaming behind her, during the reception so that she could get her hands on a chicken-salad-on-toast hors d'oeuvre (literally, she sprinted after the caterer). Yes, we tried one to see what the fuss was about, and no, they were not all that great.
• Seeing Grace Coddington again outside of Alice Tully Hall after the reception, when she trotted right past the line of Town Cars and headed towards the subway. Not that we were following her or anything.
Most Viewed Stories
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Donald Trump Spent the Morning After the Debate Fat-Shaming Miss Universe, Again
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Hillary Clinton’s Sickest Debate Burns
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Area Woman Interrupted by Man 25 Times in 26 Minutes
Our Scowling Hero Breaks a Smile
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.