For those of us who weren't allowed to have pierced ears as tweens, clip-on earrings were the next best thing. Slightly painful and usually gaudy, they bring to mind bad eighties fashion or endless days playing dress-up — but the newest ones look anything but childish. Made from sparkly crystals or sculptural metals, these updated statement pieces are a nod to the glamorous and oversize jewelry of the fifties. Lanvin's star-shaped studs or Oscar de la Renta's dangling, sapphire-hued stones are investment-worthy pieces that will instantly draw attention to your face. And if you'd rather test the trend, Forever 21's rhinestone clusters or Betsey Johnson's ombre rosettes are just as eye-catching. Click ahead to see these, and more, in our slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament