Four years ago, would you have believed that the hot-pants-loving singer behind "UR So Gay" would end up with 22 million Twitter acolytes, an approximate net worth of $44 million (two bucks a follower!), and her own concert movie, Katy Perry: Part of Me, chronicling both thousands of performances wherein she is dressed as a glamorous banana and her high-profile divorce? Yeah, neither would we. But it’s futile to resist: Katy Perry is officially a phenomenon. Join us as we see how the erstwhile Katy Hudson — lover of low-heeled shoes and awkward haircuts — gave rise to Katy Perry, perky cocktail of Candyland, Lady Gaga, and Rosie the Riveter, dipped in caffeine and rolled in sparkles.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Mickey Boardman
Meet PS Dept, ‘the Genius Bar for Fashion’
Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
- Mary-Kate Wants a Baby As Well As a Ring
- Why Are Feminist Critics Hung Up on Playboy?
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Mickey Boardman
- California Revenge Pornographer Gets Five Years
- Meet PS Dept, ‘the Genius Bar for Fashion’
- Dakota Fanning Looked Like a Luxe Chanel Piñata
- Best Bet: Satomi Kawakita Emerald Ring
- Sheryl Sandberg’s Favorite Shampoo Commercial
- Kate Winslet Just Had a Baby Boy
- Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
- Taylor Swift Uses Her Phone to Put on Makeup
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 15 Days to Go!
- The Hair Stories Behind American Hustle
- New York Winter Weddings Issue Is Live!
- Wish List: 3.1 Phillip Lim’s Quinn Loafer