The second installation of our Game Face series, in which enviably complexioned women (such as Amber Valletta) share their skin-care regimens.
Lily Kwong is still young — 24 to be exact — so she has time on her side and not a single smile line. Still, as a working model (check out her busy Twitter feed to follow her adventures both on and off the runway), her face gets assaulted on a daily basis with different foundations, powders, and sometimes not-so-pristine brushes. In fact, earlier this summer, Kwong's complexion went through what she describes as a "skin crisis."
"I was breaking out along my cheeks," she told us. "It was horrible! Obviously, you’re panicking if your skin is not at its best and you have to be in front of the camera. I basically became a chemist and started trying everything — I had enough products to fill a kitchen table." Fortunately with the help of Manhattan dermatologist Macrene Alexiades-Armenakas (aka "Dr. Macrene"), Kwong coaxed her skin back to its former glory in just a couple of months.
My New Routine:
1. Wash with only warm water: "All I use in the morning is lukewarm water. Since I cleanse very thoroughly at night, I don’t feel like I need [products] in the morning. I never use hot water. Skin doesn’t like extreme environments, so it's best to stay away from super hot or super cold."
2. Dry Gently: "After cleansing, I pat dry with a towel. I used to basically scrub my skin dry, but that's not a good idea because it's irritating."
3. The Right Moisturizer: "Before I started using this cream by my doctor, I had enough products to fill a table. But this has everything that you need in one jar — I call it my pot of gold. I apply a thin layer, all over my face and neck. I don't even need an eye cream anymore because it replaces that as well. It's got coffee and green algae and it just rejuvenates everything. It’s expensive, but worth every penny. 37 Extreme Actives, $295, Dr. Macrene
4. Rx: MetroGel: "Dr. Macrene prescribed this to help with my mild rosacea. It doesn't cause any irritation and it has totally worked for me." MetroGel, prescription only, MetroGel
5. Lightweight Sunscreen: "I switched sunscreens because what I was using before was a cream, and this one by Skin Ceuticals has that milky texture Macrene told me to use. It has an SPF of 50 and a little bit of a tint, which evens out my skin tone when I'm not wearing makeup." Skin Ceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense Sunscreen Broad Specturm SPF 50, $32, SkinCeuticals
6. A Milky Cleanser: "Dr. Macrene is always urging to wash with anything that’s milky because it doesn’t create a film on your skin. So in the evening I wash my face with lukewarm water and Clinique Take the Day Off cleanser to remove my makeup and sunscreen. If I had a photo shoot that day, I’ll wash with the cleanser a couple times to get all the makeup off." Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Milk, $27, Clinique
7. Another Rx: Finacea: "When I get blemishes, I spot treat with Finacea. This [prescription] cream clears out all the dead skin cells that block your pores. I also use this in place of exfoliating." Finacea, prescription only, Finacea
8. Vitamin Therapy: "I also take 2500 grams of vitamin A each day. This definitely helped with my skin clarity and has been a big game changer."
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Ask Polly: Should I Try to Help My Alcoholic Friend?
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Chelsea Clinton Says She Didn’t Initially Know Her Mom Had Pneumonia Because She Was Trying to Power Through It
YogaToes Cured My Lifelong Fear of Bunions
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesYour Zits Are Actually Keeping You Young
New research suggest they are nature’s anti-ager.Rihanna’s Paris Fashion Week Show Involved a Lot More Purple Satin Than Anyone Was Expecting
Pastels were a major theme.Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
It’s a beautiful country!College Student Printed Out Her Roommate’s Subtweets and Posted Them in the Dorm in Today’s Best College Drama
She printed out every subtweet and posted them on a bulletin board.The Y Is Back in YSL, But Not Much Else Is Yet
Anthony Vaccarello’s debut collection falls back on label classics. Plus: Young Parisian designers experiment.Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Their 'first tweet' was not impressive.Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
It was inevitable.What’s Going to Happen to Angelina’s Jewelry From Brad?
She has quite a few personal pieces from Brad Pitt that might wind up on the auction block.Models at Margiela Looked Like Rainbow Brite Alien Angels
Cosplay for characters that haven’t been invented yet.Senate Approves Long-Delayed Zika-Funding Bill
The $1.1 billion measure is expected to pass the House later today.
“Campaign stress?”Emma Watson and Justin Trudeau Hold International Wokeness Summit
Rude of them to not invite the American delegate, Matt McGorry.Whoopi Goldberg on Vetements and Burning Bridges
The comedian is trading The View for a higher profile in the fashion world.This Gentle Mask Kills Zits Overnight
And it doesn’t stink.What Really Happens Backstage at the Shows
Runway beauty used to be pretty low-key. Now it’s one of the main events.Gary Johnson Calls in Supernatural Powers for Election Help
Melissa Joan Hart is the new Connecticut chair for the Gary Johnson campaign.Kim Kardashian Assaulted by the Same Guy Who Grabbed Gigi Hadid
He ran up and kissed her ass.The FDA Is Finally Going to Update the Term ‘Healthy’
Currently, foods that are low in fat but high in sugar can use it, which, no.Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Kellyanne Conway made a Freudian slip.Meet the Designer Who Launched a Hit Label From His Apartment
Talking to Atlein designer Antonin Tron about his unconventional debut.