There is much to admire and appreciate about the women's Olympic gymnastics so far this year. Artistry, athleticism, impressive feats of communal tear-shedding, you name it. But one feature has stood out so far in this Olympiad, more present now than ever before: the messy half-bun. Once upon a time, gymnasts' hair rivaled ballerinas' updos for tightness and precision, locked into place with a thousand snappy clips. No more, though! Gymnasts today are sporting loosely looped knots. Journey with us through some of the standouts.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Blowout
- What the Times’s ‘Case for Filth’ Gets Wrong
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island
- Amy Adams Didn’t Do Boob Tape in American Hustle
- Joanna Coles Lets Her 36-Year-Old Assistant Blog
- Beyoncé Wears Cow Print, Displays Sense of Humor
- Best Bet: Property Metallic Sack
- Selfie Yearbook 2013: Celebrity Superlatives
- 69 Fancy Gifts to Pine for This Holiday Season
- Short Men Are Out of Luck 99 Percent of the Time
- Lindsay Lohan Implicated in Hilton Bro Beating
- Victoria Beckham Hated Her Girl-Power Prison