Over time, many people develop a particular uniform — a neutral sheath day after day, or perhaps some iteration of a blouse and jeans. While these habits do streamline your morning routine, sometimes you get the itch to delve into someone else's clothes for a day. In our new feature, "24-Hour Wardrobe," we explore the signature "day" and "evening" look of a stylish fashion personality. First up: filmmaker and Marc Jacobs muse Sofia Coppola. Known for attention to subtle detail, Coppola commands attention with her neutral yet well-cut pieces accented with classic accessories, like her namesake Louis Vuitton bag or a simple clutch. Rather than teeter in sky-high, over-embellished heels, she chooses minimal shoes with a practical height and a sturdy — yet sleek — ankle strap. She keeps jewelry to a minimum to quietly complement her look. No matter how much fun it can be to grab everyone's attention in over-the-top pieces, sometimes it's chicer to be the understated woman in the room. Click ahead to see a breakdown of each look and how to get it at every price point.
Look pulled together without doing backflips by choosing simple pieces that can be easily mixed and matched. Here, she pairs a printed silk blouse with cropped black pants, and anchors the look with a pair of low wedges that offer height but no discomfort. A small Chanel purse and stacked resin bangles add polish.
1. Miss Selfridge pin spot shirt, $61 at Miss Selfridge; 2. Equipment Sophie washed silk shirt, $220 at Net-a-Porter; 3. Holmes & Yang Ginkgo print blouse, $845 at Barneys; 4. A.L.C. print georgette blouse, $365 at Farfetch 5. Marni long sleeve patterned shirt, $494 at Farfetch
1. Maje Suzie knitted skinny pants, $340 at Net-a-Porter; 2. Mango satin sheen slim-fit trousers, $39.99 at Mango; 3. Stella McCartney Velez wool-twill skinny pants, $595 at Net-a-Porter; 4. Ted Baker Remie technical stretch suit trouser, $199 at Ted Baker; 5. A.L.C. Jude cropped stretch wool-twill pants, $415 at Net-a-Porter
1. A.P.C. low Corkease, $385 at A.P.C.; 2. Lauren Ralph Lauren Indigo sandals, $54.99 at Zappos; 3. Camper women’s Laura 21625 ankle-strap sandal, $146.21 at Endless; 4. Worishofer 639 sandals, $70.99 at Zappos; 5. Donald J. Pliner women’s Prema wedge sandal, $168.75 at Endless
1. Kate Spade tickle the ivories idiom bangle, $32 at kate spade; 2. Kenneth Jay Lane ivory resin bangle, $50 at Endless; 3. Chloé white small Holly enamel bangle, $276 at SSENSE; 4. Ben-Amun by Isaac Manevitz ivory resin bangle, $35 at Ben-Amun; 5. Kenneth Cole New York Modern Blanc white hinged bangle bracelet, $48 at Endless
1. Marc Jacobs Cooper crossbody bag, $895 at Neiman Marcus; 2. ASOS quilted lock across body bag, $26.51 at ASOS; 3. Mulberry mini Lily bag, $500 at Mulberry; 4. Tory Burch Robinson textured-leather shoulder bag, $350 at Net-a-Porter; 5. Navoh Nicky crossbody bag, $65 at Nordstrom
For an evening affair, a cream silk blouse and black wrap skirt get cinched with a rhinestone belt, which adds sparkle in lieu of flashy statement jewelry. A small black crocodile clutch adds textural contrast and holds the essentials, while a minimalist sandal is evening-appropriate but won’t compete with the clean silhouette.
1. Mango v-neck top, $29.99 at Mango; 2. Calvin Klein crepe tank, $148.75 at The Outnet; 3. Collection by Giada Forte hidden button silk top, $350 at Otte; 4. Enza Costa sleeveless henley, $145 at Otte; 5. Vionnet asymmetric silk-cady top, $770 at Net-a-Porter
1. Reiss Neela mini wrap skirt, $170 at Reiss; 2. Costume National knee length skirt, $803 at The Corner; 3. 3.1 Phillip Lim draped wrap skirt, $375 at Barneys; 4. Sharon Wauchob asymmetrical skirt, $371 at Farfetch; 5. Sandro black wrap effect skirt, $195 at Stylebop
1. Ronald Pineau cut glass studded belt, $475 at Farfetch; 2. BCBG Max Azria stone waist belt, $68 at BCBG Max Azria; 3. Prada satin stone belt, $920 at Saks Fifth Avenue; 4. Elegantly Waisted glitter double bucklet belt, $98 at Neiman Marcus; 5. Amantes Amentes black leather belt, $91 at Farfetch
1. ASOS Hype sandals, $69.59 at ASOS; 2. Topshop Ryder skinny buckle sandals, $110 at Topshop; 3. Alexander Wang Carmen high heel sandals, $465 at Shopbop; 4. Costume National high-heeled sandals, $626 at The Corner; 5. Givenchy classic pony leather heel, $850 at Forward by Elyse Walker
1. BCBG Max Azria snake-embossed envelope clutch, $68 at BCBG Max Azria; 2. Alexander Wang croc-effect leather clutch, $425 at Net-a-Porter; 3. Lauren Merkin Caroline patent snake clutch, $275 at Lauren Merkin; 4. Anya Hindmarch Valorie glitter-finished leather clutch, $550 at Net-a-Porter; 5. Cole Haan optical weave Izzie clutch, $198 at Nordstrom
Most Viewed Stories
Scarlett Johansson Designed Unsightly, Well-meaning Shirts
Beyond the Man-Braids: An Everything Guide to Loving Cary Fukunaga
Zara Pulls Offensive T-shirt After Complaints
The 5 Chicest Places to Be on Labor Day Weekend
Get Ouuuut: Donatella Versace Accepted the Ice Bucket Challenge
The New Instagram Feature That’s Made for Fashion Week
The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
Here’s the Right Way to Deal With Cat Calls
Here’s an Excerpt of Lena Dunham’s Memoir
Meet the 4 Most Desired People in New York (According to OKCupid)
From Our Partners
10 Ways To Royally Piss Off Your Wedding Guests
George Clooney Is A Profoundly Cruel Human Being
Rag & Bone’s Sweatpant Jeans–A Lazy Girl’s Dream Come True
10 Wedding Trends That Need To Be Retired (And What To Do Instead)
Latest News on The CutAnna Wintour and Michael Jordan Were Happy Seatmates
The two sat together to watch mutual buddy Roger Federer play.Breezy Linens and Tevas at MoMA PS1’s Warm Up
Street-style highlights from the annual outdoor summer dance series.Ask Polly: How Am I Supposed to Make Friends in My Late 20s?
Aim low and open your heart.Band of Outsiders Canceled Its NYFW Presentation
It's decided to focus on its store opening.Playboy Figured Out How to Appeal to Women
Answer: Make fun of men.Meet the Teenage Sisters With an App to Prevent Police Brutality
Ima and Asha Christensen made really good use of their summer vacation.Get Ouuuut: Donatella Versace Accepted the Ice Bucket Challenge
With shirtless male models and Versace buckets.ABC Announced Next Season’s Bachelor
Curveball: He's white, wholesome, and a fan of hair gel.Jennifer Aniston Hates Your Line of Inquiry
Citing Steinem influence.A Summer Sandal That Will Be a Hit Next Year Too
A jeweled slide that'll last.
If you're pregnant, you get treats.Lady Gaga Is Performing at Bazaar’s NYFW Party
Will her Koons orb be her plus-one?Zara Pulls Offensive T-shirt After Complaints
Critics said the shirt resembled a concentration-camp uniform.Natasha Lyonne and Fred Armisen: A Reasonable Coupling
Arm in arm at the Emmys, reportedly.Lady Gaga Wore a Baby Bonnet
And, surprise, no pants.The 5 Chicest Places to Be on Labor Day Weekend
If only you'd gotten your act together.Do We Really Need to Know About Miley’s Date’s Arrest Warrant?
Jesse Helt is really getting the celebrity treatment.Here’s the Right Way to Deal With Cat Calls
Courtesy of SNL's Sasheer Zamata.The New Instagram Feature That’s Made for Fashion Week
Hyperlapse is a time-lapse app that might as well be tailored to the runway.Model Charged With Petit Larceny of Chocolate, Fish Oil From Whole Foods
A strong contender for our new fake celebrity boyfriend.Scarlett Johansson Designed Unsightly, Well-meaning Shirts
For Planned Parenthood.The L.A.-Ification of Saint Laurent Is Complete
The company's opening a flagship in Los Angeles.Finally, Here Are the Dimensions of the Ideal Belly Button
Surgeons analyzed the navels of Playboy Playmates, for reasons unbeknownst.37 Photos of Women Voting to Celebrate the 19th Amendment’s Anniversary
August 26, 1920, and beyond!Nation’s Masculinity Intact Thanks to Coke for ‘Bros’
It's not diet.Kim and North Wore Matching Summer Whites
Timely.Charlize Theron Calls Her Closet ‘Narnia’
It contains wonders and a childlike spirit.Could Proenza Schouler Be the New LVMH Darling?
The luxury conglomerate is on a buying spree.A Spacious and Spacy Metallic Rose Gold Clutch
Shiny, but neutral.
The Cut discusses Cary Fukunaga's hair, and hotness.Seth Meyers Opens Emmys With Charming Slut Joke
“TV is always up.”
And we loved it.The Best, Worst, and Most Improved at the 2014 Emmys
Tulle, crystals, and a dress that resembles table linens.Sarah Silverman Whipped Out a Vape Pen on the Red Carpet
Showing off the hottest new accessory.15 Emmys Red-Carpet Gowns That Could Double As Wedding Dresses
So many ladies in white!See All of the Red-Carpet Looks From the 2014 Emmy Awards
Updated throughout the night.The Fug Girls Live-Blog the 2014 Emmys Carpet
Pull out that boxed wine.Don’t Let the Jocks Win, Chloë Sevigny
"It’s like a frat house everywhere."How to Pull Off Taylor Swift’s Late-Summer Look
Metallic pumps and, of course, a two-piece.
Showing us how scarves can be necklaces, or something.The Most Glorious Jordan Catalano GIFs
To mark the 20th anniversary of My So-Called Life.Face Chains, Beaded Masks, and Wild Prints at the Afropunk Festival
Street style from New York's most vibrant summer music festival.Why Does the New York Times Magazine Cover Look Like a Tampon Ad?
They've got Eugenie Bouchard, world-class athlete, flipping her hair.Nicki Minaj’s Wardrobe SNAFU Went As Planned
On the VMAs zip-up slipup.Jeremy Scott and Miley Cyrus Are Plotting Something for NYFW
Will it involve smiley faces?It’s Now Extra Stressful to Be a Ball Boy at the U.S. Open
They will wear Ralph Lauren shirts that measure their heart rates.Fake Hair Had a Big Moment at the VMAs
Wigs, weaves, and everything in between.Here’s an Excerpt of Lena Dunham’s Memoir
Lena Dunham on therapy and friendship.The Best Photos of Blue Ivy Carter at the VMAs
The Carter to watch.