One word can be used to describe Anna Wintour's style: consistent. Having worked in the fashion industry since her teens, she's always had access to incredible clothes, but she's also had the wisdom to steer clear of trends we all laugh about now (okay, some of her shoulder pads in the eighties were a bit much, but whose weren't?). About ten years ago, she abandoned pants entirely and adopted a signature silhouette: a nipped-in waist, a hemline falling to her knee or below, and a conservative neckline, usually accessorized with a chunky necklace. Even though she could probably borrow whatever she wants from designers, she re-wears her favorite pieces often, often choosing colorful prints and pairing them with cream slingback Manolos or an equally simple shoe. Of course, she's not above regular doses of whimsicality — she wore a lobster on her dress to the 2012 Met Gala, for example. Enjoy a look back at her personal style over the years.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
- Susan Sarandon Was High at Most Hollywood Events
- How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
- Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- There’s a Six-Hour Line for the Trendiest Selfie
- The Best and Worst of December Fashion Magazines
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 13 Days to Go!
- Meet SAMMA: A Minimal, Pared-Down Jewelry Line
- Help: I’m a People-Pleaser, and I Hate It
- Lorde and Taylor Swift Are Now Bosom Buddies
- See: Flash Mob Ballet at Van Cleef & Arpels
- Adam Levine Brings You Sexiest Health-Care Alive
- How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- The Year in Street Style: Céline Wins!
- Kate Middleton Dares to Wear a Dress Three Times