Co-owned by stylists Larry Raspanti and Victoria Hunter, Whittemore House is a hidden gem of a salon tucked away in New York’s West Village. Located in the basement level of an apartment building, you’d never know it exists, even if you walked right past it. But all the boys in the 'hood know what goes on in the space that's been decorated to look like the coolest dilapidated mansion (think Miss Havisham meets Brooklyn Flea). Around the corner at a nearby coffee shop, the baristas call Whittemore House the “hot girl factory,” because models like Anja Rubik, Freja Behar Erichssen, and Daria Werbowy are known to stop in for their hand-painted color treatments (pre– and post–Fashion Week). The staff of stylists and colorists also happen to look just as cool. We sent photographer Elizabeth Lippman to capture their perfect roughed-up hair (styled with cult favorite Sachajuan products), tattoos, pin-up lipstick and boys with black nails. Enjoy the slideshow and hear how each member of the salon maintains their beauty regimen (most hardly ever shampoo!).
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament