Co-owned by stylists Larry Raspanti and Victoria Hunter, Whittemore House is a hidden gem of a salon tucked away in New York’s West Village. Located in the basement level of an apartment building, you’d never know it exists, even if you walked right past it. But all the boys in the 'hood know what goes on in the space that's been decorated to look like the coolest dilapidated mansion (think Miss Havisham meets Brooklyn Flea). Around the corner at a nearby coffee shop, the baristas call Whittemore House the “hot girl factory,” because models like Anja Rubik, Freja Behar Erichssen, and Daria Werbowy are known to stop in for their hand-painted color treatments (pre– and post–Fashion Week). The staff of stylists and colorists also happen to look just as cool. We sent photographer Elizabeth Lippman to capture their perfect roughed-up hair (styled with cult favorite Sachajuan products), tattoos, pin-up lipstick and boys with black nails. Enjoy the slideshow and hear how each member of the salon maintains their beauty regimen (most hardly ever shampoo!).
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Cannes Day 9: Princess Charlene and Heidi Klum
- The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
- U.N. Pressures Prada to Stop Discrimination
- McCartney’s Asia Tour Culminates With Kate Moss
- Every Outfit Olivia Has Worn on Scandal Season 2
- When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
- Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Balenciaga’s New Bag: A Versatile Summer Option
- Issa’s Designer, Daniella Helayel, Quits Label
- Pussy Riot’s Maria Alyokhina Denied Parole
- GIF Lesson: How to Give Thin Hair Extra Volume
- The 45 Most Gorgeous, Famous Gems of All Time
- Barack Obama Prom Pictures
- Watch: Supercut of Pop Culture’s Best Promzillas
- Men No Longer Just Pieces of Meat