The likeness, located east of Paris in Nogent-sur-Marne, was originally meant to fête her ascent from supermodel to first lady, and portrays her "as a 'plumassiere,' a woman worker from one of Nogent's former feather factories," the Telegraph reports. Carla apparently posed for the €90,000 ($110,000) statue by sculptor Elisabeth Cibot; however, even Carla's staffers were unsure about the whole thing, with a spokesperson explaining, "[She] isn't Joan of Arc or General de Gaulle. [She] is a former model." And local leaders agree that she isn't really the best person to represent workers. Speaking about the statue, one unnamed official said, "It has not only been described as hideous, but it honours a very rich woman whose husband is facing corruption allegations," adding, "It's well camouflaged at the moment, and not many people have noticed it, but the official unveiling is going to be difficult." Real Carla won't be there on September 21 to watch them tear off the blue tarp (in fact, she wasn't invited), but we can't wait to see what Plumassiere Carla is wearing! Definitely Dior.
Are You the Marrying Type?
Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
Best Bet: Eve Lom Dynaspot Treatment
- Male Gaze: James Deen, ‘Bronut’ Pioneer
- Are You the Marrying Type?
- Hair-Swap: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez
- Karl Lagerfeld Released an Emoji App
- 24 Vintage Ladies Celebrating St. Paddy’s Day
- Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
- Twitter, Rape, and Privacy on Social Media
- Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
- The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
- Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
- Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
- Kate Moss’s Little Sister, Regular Aughties Teen
- Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
- Scarlett Johansson Wore a Bow on Her Stomach
- Best of the Style Blogs: Black-and-White Prints