Whenever people bemoan the lack of imagination on today's red carpets, Cher's name always comes up as an example of someone who successfully pushes the envelope. From her patterned bell-bottoms and waist-long, silky straight hair in the seventies to her shiny spandex and sky-high, spiky wigs of the eighties, she transformed herself too often to have a signature style of note, yet each look is unmistakably her own. Never one to shy away from belly-baring mesh tops, gold lamé, or headdresses of any kind, Cher always manages to walk the line between wacky and elegant. Enjoy a look back at her otherworldly outfits from the sixties to today.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
- Newly Vegan Beyoncé Covers Her Body in Pizza
- Matthew Williamson and Gwyneth Are Secret BFFs
- Why Should Fluid Sexuality Be Women-Only?