There was nothing subtle about Elizabeth Taylor's ample cleavage, deep tan, and big violet eyes, and her fashion sense was just as bold. A fan of plunging necklines and big hair, she got more and more fearless with age. In her forties and fifties, she embraced sparkly miniskirts, towering headpieces, and feather boas, layering on the eye shadow and the glitter. Her astonishing jewelry collection, which was regularly supplemented by on-again, off-again husband Richard Burton, made her outfits even more spectacular. She won a Lifetime of Glamour Award from the CFDA in 1997, which she collected in a stately white gown studded with silver sequins; when Christie's auctioned off her estate following her death last year, her jewels alone raised over $115 million. Enjoy our look back at her fashion evolution over the years.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Adam Levine Doesn’t Brush His Teeth
Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
- Is Sex a Workout?
- ‘Hard-Wired’ Sex Differences Are Meaningless
- Adam Levine Doesn’t Brush His Teeth
- Lena Dunham and Judy Blume Talk Sixth-Grade Lies
- Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
- Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
- Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Happy Birthday, Jeff Bridges!
- Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
- WSJ Columnist: Time Warner Is a ‘Little Girl’
- Watch Lily McMenamy Do Crazy-Ass Yoga in Céline
- Katy Perry Says Volunteer for the Insta-Pix
- Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 21 Days to Go!
- A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life