There was nothing subtle about Elizabeth Taylor's ample cleavage, deep tan, and big violet eyes, and her fashion sense was just as bold. A fan of plunging necklines and big hair, she got more and more fearless with age. In her forties and fifties, she embraced sparkly miniskirts, towering headpieces, and feather boas, layering on the eye shadow and the glitter. Her astonishing jewelry collection, which was regularly supplemented by on-again, off-again husband Richard Burton, made her outfits even more spectacular. She won a Lifetime of Glamour Award from the CFDA in 1997, which she collected in a stately white gown studded with silver sequins; when Christie's auctioned off her estate following her death last year, her jewels alone raised over $115 million. Enjoy our look back at her fashion evolution over the years.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Cannes Day 9: Princess Charlene and Heidi Klum
- The College Magazine the Fashion World Respects
- U.N. Pressures Prada to Stop Discrimination
- McCartney’s Asia Tour Culminates With Kate Moss
- Every Outfit Olivia Has Worn on Scandal Season 2
- When Does PDA Mean a Couple Is Back Together?
- Too Much or Too Little: DSM-V’s Gray Area on Sex
- Balenciaga’s New Bag: A Versatile Summer Option
- Issa’s Designer, Daniella Helayel, Quits Label
- Pussy Riot’s Maria Alyokhina Denied Parole
- GIF Lesson: How to Give Thin Hair Extra Volume
- The 45 Most Gorgeous, Famous Gems of All Time
- Barack Obama Prom Pictures
- Watch: Supercut of Pop Culture’s Best Promzillas
- Men No Longer Just Pieces of Meat